The unit aims to provide conceptual tools that enable students to perform a critical reflection on language as an object of study and its use in public communication.
It is intended that students:
• Identify the importance of language in world experience particularly in intrapersonal, interpersonal and global contexts.
• Understand the different dimensions that intersect the referential, symbolic and performative nature of language.
• Understand transformations in experience with the turn to modernity and the public and critical use of reason.
• Locate the emergence of the communicational issue in modern times, public sphere as a discursive space and publicity as a category of mediation.
• Understand the mediatization of experience as a feature of late modernity.
• Identify and discuss the ‘new’ forms of experience mediation offered namely by Social Media.